Saturday, April 26, 2014

They Were Supposed to be Artichokes

Two years ago I bought two pieces of what was sold to me as artichoke root stock to see if I could get artichokes to grow here. They took off well - 
   


But they were attacked by vicious snails plus the spot was too shady and eventually they crapped out and died, so I just left the area they were planted go. 
                        
Well, a couple weeks ago I was cleaning up that area and was raking out the dead leaves. And, found the artichokes had sprouted again! It's a miracle, maybe thanks to St Anthony!
So, I dug them up and...
  Moved them here, beside the fava beans, a much more sunny spot.
Will post more pics later showing how they are doing.

Well, here's how they're doing. This is not what artichoke plants are supposed to look like but they are exactly what horseradish plants are supposed to look like!  Ison's Nursery made a mistake and gave me horseradish root stock instead of artichoke!
But the leaves are very good sauteed in olive oil. And maybe we can make some hot Chinese mustard wit the roots.

 My helper.

No comments:

Post a Comment